March & April 2020 Books

Hey guys! I just realized that I didn’t do a book review for the month of March. It was just so crazy last month, I think we can all agree on that. I haven’t been able to keep up the reading pace I had set at the beginning of the year, unfortunately. With all that’s going on, I haven’t had a lot of reading mojo, sadly, but I do hope that I will soon find the right book to get absorbed in, and to help me through these uncertain times.

These are the books I managed to finish in the last two months.

Read More »

January 2020 Reads

Fiction

To start off the New Year, I picked up The Vengekeep Prophecies by Brian Farrey. I bought this a long time ago, but didn’t get around to reading it until now. I thought it had some very smart twists and a great world-building. I warmed up to the Grimjinx family instantly, and I was a little disappointed that for most of the book, we don’t actually get to see them operate as a team. I think that’s really the only issue I had with the story, and perhaps it was why I found the middle to ‘sag’ a little. It had an awesome ending though.

Sorcery of Thorns was such a joy to read. It’s the kind of cozy fantasy that was perfect to read on a winter’s afternoon. The characters were all lovable and the romance went at the perfectly right pace for me. The plot was amazing, full of twists and turns. And yes, I have to mention this, being such a big fan of Fullmetal Alchemist, but the plot is very similar to FMA. Not that it takes away any enjoyment. On the contrary, picking up on the similar plot lines made me more excited to see how things would turn out in this world.

Read More »

My Favourite Books/Series

I often compare the books I read to the ones I enjoyed before, so I figured I would compile my favourite books here as a reference.

It was difficult for me to choose my “favourite” books, because we tend to judge how much we like a book by how many times we’ve read it. Unfortunately I’m not a big re-reader. While there are a few books I’ve read multiple times, there others I’ve only read once that still gave me a phenomenal reading experience. I included those ones in my list as well.

None of these are in order, by the way. (Well, with the exception of the first one! That one really is my favourite book of all time!)

Read More »

Draft 5: Week 2 Update

I really wish I had something quite significant to put on this update, but believe it or not, I managed to finish reading 2 whole books this week, which didn’t leave much for writing.

What happened? I don’t even know. It’s just one of those rare occasions where I happened to pick up books that I just couldn’t put down, and well… there went my time. Yikes.

Writing Update

Well, this *is* a post about my 5th draft, so I’ll start off with that. I am now on Chapter 7, which is about 1/4 way through my book. I’m glad to say that about 75% of the previous draft has remained intact so far, apart from a few grammar and stylistic changes. I’m trying to prune down words as well, so I’m shaving those off whenever I get the opportunity. The other 25% is rewriting. Overall, not bad. I wish I were faster though, and I think if I hadn’t been so distracted with reading, I would be further along.

What was I reading?

I finished Swift and The Weight of Our Sky this week. Both were page-turners, and I highly recommend. I’m still making my way through Red Seas under Red Skies. I remember going into Lies of Locke Lamora two years ago and being somewhat impatient with it (though I enjoyed it a lot), and I’m just reading RSURS with the mindset that these books are meant to be savoured and not rushed.

General Update

Hey guys! It’s been a little more than a month since my last post. Sorry about that, but lately, I’ve been trying to re-examine this blog’s purpose. I’m a little less into writing book reviews, and since posting my latest draft up on BetaBooks I don’t really have anything to say about writing. I mostly post my artwork on Tumblr or DeviantArt, and I suppose I can post them here as well, but I don’t know if WordPress is really the best medium for art. I know it supports “portfolio” style posts, but I don’t know if it’s going to help me much.

Read More »

January 2019 Books

I didn’t read much last month, even though I had a lot of time during my all the waiting at the airport. I finished off All Systems Red which was a nice, fluffy read. I didn’t expect that coming from the way the cover looks. I also read a Tagalog book, the first time in years. I had an opportunity to buy Filipino books during my trip, although to be honest, I’m still disappointed by the low proportion of Filipino books in Filipino bookstores.

I also read a Dummies book, and I reread The Screaming Staircase by Jonathan Stroud. I’m still very much in my Lockwood and Co. streak.